July, 2016: GSS’s Risk and Infrastructure Science Center (RISC) announces the launch of the brand new Public Affairs Science and Technology (PAST) Fusion Center initiative. The PAST Fusion Center will provide a natural venue for teams of world-class researchers and scientists to work alongside public affairs professionals to address some of the most significant communication challenges facing our nation and the world today. Designed, developed, and implemented by Mark Basnight and Holly Hardin, the PAST Fusion Center seeks to:
- Provide a venue for collaboration among researchers, scientists and practitioners;
- Apply science to the practice of public affairs to maximize effectiveness and efficiency of critical messaging;
- Monitor, observe, and conduct live research of real-world crises/events;
- Establish best practices for public affairs (pertaining to public safety);
- Support local and state Joint Information Center operations;
- Develop training curriculum for the National Public Affairs Academy; and
- Host annual Argonne Public Affairs Science & Technology Symposium.